Monday, November 24, 2008

Just in time....

I promised Jen I would share my creme pie recipe. If you want to be the hit of Thanksgiving I offer the recipe to all who are willing to try it. Be sure to read the tips and hints at the end. My only plea is *PLEASE DON'T USE A STORE BOUGHT OR FROZEN PIE CRUST and PLEASE USE REAL WHIPPING CREAM* I implore you to make your own pie crust and no Cool Whip or canned whipping cream allowed. I won't send the pie police if you don't adhere to the instructions, but I encourage full compliance.

Pie Crust:

The recipe I've been using since a child is the same as The Pioneer Woman recipe. See HERE. I wonder how she got it from me?


*Vanilla Creme Pie Filling*
1 C. sugar
1/2 C. flour
1/4 tsp salt
3 C. milk
4 egg yolks
3 TBL margarine
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

3 bananas, sliced and tossed in some lime juice so they don't' turn brown. Put the bananas in the bottom of the pie shell before you pour in the creme. Jen had a great tip - don't put the bananas in the pie, slice the bananas on top of the pie when you serve it so they don't turn brown.


In a medium saucepan combine sugar, flour, & salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook & stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat, cook & stir 2 more minutes.


Remove from heat. In a separate bowl have the egg yolks slightly beaten. Gradually stir 1 C. of the hot mixture into the yolks. Gradually return egg mixture back into saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil & cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in margarine and vanilla.


Pour into baked pie shell. Chill, covered in the fridge.

***TIPS***
If you have a heavier cast iron saucepan you will have less chance of the milk scorching.
Be PATIENT. Stir and stir and stir until it's nearly the consistency of pudding. If you don't wait it won't be thick enough and your pie won't set up.
When tempering your egg yolks add the hot mixture very slowly and whisk, whisk, whisk, fast, fast, fast. I usually have someone help me hold the bowl. It's easier. Pour it back into the hot mixture very slowly and whisk, whisk, whisk, fast, fast, fast.
I have only used margarine, not real butter. I don't know if it would make a difference in the taste.
If the milk does scorch just be careful not to scrape the bottom of the pan when you are stirring. It makes little brown specks appear in your filling and it doesn't look very appetizing.
For variations I've put about a 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract and added about 2/3 C. shredded coconut at the very end. I toast a little coconut to sprinkle on top of the REAL WHIP CREAM. (see picture below)
I've also served it as a plain vanilla creme pie. Yummo!


I will be making crust and pie filling on Wednesday night if anyone wants to come over. It'll be a pie party!


4 comments:

Becky said...

I'm SO making this for Thanksgiving. Thanks!

Mary Denton Taylor said...

This looks so super yummy!!!!! I'm not sure I am capable of accomplishing such fabulousness!!!

Fancypants said...

Yes, you can do it. It's not hard, I promise. If you want I will make you one tonight.

Jen said...

yummy I can't wait to try your recipe.