Wednesday, January 14, 2009

True Confession

So on a scale of 1-10....how brain dead am I?

The bus pulls in to the park-n-ride lot this morning.
I check the number, or so I think!
I get on.
I find a seat.
About 90th South I wonder why the bus driver is in the slow lane instead of the HOV lane. "What a lame driver" I think to myself. "I'm never taking this later bus again."
It hits me, like a hammer to the stomach.

I'M ON THE WRONG BUS!!!

I'm on bus 810 that goes to the U of U. I nearly start openly weeping. I frantically text Jen & Bruce (because somehow it made me feel better to confess my utter stupidity??).

I try not to have a panic attack in front of everyone. I slowly, as to not draw attention to myself, tuck my work ID badge in my bag so no one can see I work NO WHERE near the U of U.

As we approach the U of U campus I try to discreetly lean over to a woman (who I saw reading the Book or Mormon so I figure she will be nice and is familiar with the whole 'charity' thing) and ask her which stop is closest to the TRAX station.

"I don't normally take this bus, but I need to meet someone at the TRAX station (she didn't need to know it was the TRAX operator who would take me downtown). Which stop do I get off at?"

She politely answered and I'm hoping she didn't see the beads of sweat trickling down my forehead.

To make a long story semi-long: I made it to work and it only took me 1 1/2 hours instead of my normal 45 minutes, I got a great tour of Research Park, I rode a TRAX line that I've never ridden before, I made a new friend (thank you Book of Mormon reading stranger for not laughing directly in my face), and I've learned that 810 looks nothing like 802.

**Sigh** I need more sleep.

If you think I was brain dead today, you haven't heard about the day I drove to work and left my car running ALL day in the Church Office Building parking lot. It takes a strong woman to confess such idiotic actions.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I can't believe you confessed both brain relapses. Bravo!

Bruce said...

I don't know why you mentioned the whole "left your car running all day." That's way more embarrassing!!!! But I love you anyway, plus, it kind of made me feel good knowing i got out of bed at 7:45 and made it to work the same time you did even though you got up two hours earlier than I did. Sometimes other people's misfortune can in fact make you feel better about yourself I'm sad to say

Fancypants said...

I feel liberated.

Trimble said...

Thanks for the laugh. I actually had a friend leave her car on for several hours if that helps. Maybe I can help you feel better by admitting that in a job interview last week I actually said I was anal (referring to how I pay attention to spelling and grammar). The funniest part about it was that I didn't realize until a few hours later when I was in my thinking chair (putting Danger to sleep) that that's not a very nice word to say. I will be using a different word when referring to my spelling and grammar obsession next time. :S I'm glad you made it to work safely today. :)

Rachel said...

I know I am loads of stupid moments to confess, sadly, it seems like I have chosen to go completely blank on them. Perhaps they were also traumatic.

Small town country girl said...

Well at least you were able to make it to work I get lost and it is a whole day thing getting back together lol
It must say something that the car was still there running when you went back out most places it would have gone for a drive without you